Job Alerts Call Icon Call Icon


05th January, 2017

Are you considering a move to Jersey and seeking employment?

Jersey’s residential and employment laws are separate to the UK and determines where you can work and live. You will fall under one of the following categories:

Working in Jersey – residential statuses:


Born in Jersey: You must live in Jersey for total combined period of 10 years

Not born in Jersey and moved here after age 16. Do not have ‘entitled’ parent: You must live in Jersey for a continuous period of 10 years immediately before applying for a card.

Not born in Jersey and moved here before age 20. Have an ‘entitled’ parent: You must live in Jersey for a total combined period of 10 years, starting before the age of 20 and completed before the age of 40

Not born in Jersey and moved here before age 16: You must live in Jersey for a continuous period of 10 years immediately before applying for a card.

Entitled for work

Lived here for a continuous period of five years immediately before applying. Spouse or civil partner of someone ‘entitled’, ‘entitled for work’ or ‘licensed’.


‘Essential employee’ employed by the States of Jersey or a local business allowed to employ ‘licensed’ people.


None of the categories above apply (usually if you’ve been here less than five years, you work seasonally, or you have been away for periods).

More information can be found here:

Are you new to Jersey?

Registration cards

To live and work in jersey you must register at the Social Security Department (La Motte Street) to gain a registration card, which will display the following:

  • Your name
  • Your social security number
  • Your residential and employment status
  • The cards expiry date

Without this card, you won’t be able to work, buy or lease property.

To get the card you must provide the following documents:

  • Photo identification (passport/diving license/national ID card)
  • Marriage or civil partnership certificate (if applicable)
  • Certificates of any dependent children (if applicable)

There is a cost for the registration card depending on your residential and employment status. For those who are just moving to Jersey, the cost is £75.

For information on residential statuses and what they mean can be found on:

This card will then need to be shown to your:

  • Employer
  • Landlord (if you’re renting a property)

For more information on how to become a Jersey resident please visit:

Check if you need a UK visa to live, work or study:

Work permits are needed if you don’t fall under the ‘permit free’ categories – for more information please visit:

ITIS and Social Security

For information on ITIS and Social Security and how it works in Jersey please read:

Businesses and employers

All information on registration cards for businesses and their employment permissions can be viewed here:

Employing someone who needs a work permit? Everything Employers will need to know on this topic will be stated here:

Other useful links:

The official States of Jersey (government) website:

The Jersey Advisory and Conciliation Service provides information about employment in the Island:

The Citizens Advice Bureau provides useful information about housing and employment issues in Jersey:

Jersey Chamber of Commerce website:

The Jersey Finance Limited website. Useful information about news in the Jersey Finance sector:

Official website of the Jersey Law Society:

Useful information about tax structures in Jersey:

The homepage of the Jersey Financial Services Commission:

Information from the Jersey Evening Post – the only newspaper in the Island:

General news and information about Jersey:

Training and consultancy in Jersey:

Related Career Advice

Jersey Employment Law

05th January, 2017